Friday, October 23, 2009

Episode X: The Day The Hawk Stood Still

The day before the press conference, Todd Murphy and I went to Capitol to hang the banner and get everything ready. Thanks one again to Bobbi Lovejoy, she printed out the wonderful banner at the last minute, and it looked great!

In the evening, I went to Home Depot and got the boards I needed to prop up the Hawk in place. Of course, that night I could not sleep. I was so anxious about the next day’s events. The plan was this: come in to Capitol at 730 in the morning and meet up with Shawn, one of my witnesses, and Wayne Brekke, who was to record the whole thing. By the way, I need to give some thanks to Shawn here, he became my witness at the last minute. I found out a couple days before that I needed one witness to oversee the whole thing from beginning to end, and I had nobody lined up for that! I frantically called everyone I knew, and Tom Davis, another friend of mine, let Shawn out of work to come be a witness to the event.

Then, I was to go upstairs to start on the hair. The press conference was set for 10 o’clock, and Todd was to came in around nine thirty to make sure everything was ready and help the television crews set up. All I had to do was lay there and let them work on my hair. Then at 2 o’clock the stylists were going to come to my house and re-style the hawk for my interview with Tom Becka. Pete was to pick me up in his chalkboard truck and bring me to the studio. Then, the benefit concert at night. I was to go in the back room at the waiting room lounge during Bloodcow and get the Mohawk put up for the third time that day, and get it spray painted with purple flames by Conrad Hinz. It was going to be a hell of a day.

And it was finally here. I made sure to wear my Filthy Few t-shirt, get some breakfast, and look my best, which is not very good at seven thirty in the morning. I showed up at Capitol schools, ready to go. Clarice was there, Wayne rolled up, and Katie and Elliott, and everyone else was present. We got a before shot with the video, and upstairs I went to get started. As I laid down, people were calling me already to see how it was going. I had my phone in hand half the time. Katie and Elliot went to work.


Everything went as smooth as it could. Wayne was there videotaping the whole thing, Shawn was there as a witness, and we were chatting and having fun as Elliott and Katie constructed the hawk. I Remember hoping to God that this thing stood with no problems today. They scraped my hair that was glued to the bottom board off. Elliot took one side and Katie the other. On the count of three, they propped me up and I was sitting with one board still a little glued to the right side of the hawk. With a little tug, it came free, and there it stood!



It felt perfect, sturdy, and sharp. I sat for a minute to gain perspective and balance, and then stood up, well, crouched up to go downstairs. The ceiling upstairs was not quite tall enough to contain the Hawk. I waddled on over to the elevator, and down I went. When I got downstairs, it felt good to stand up. The ceilings in the main area at capitol were nice and tall. I turned the corner to a cheering crowd. There they were, all waiting for me.


I'll never forget this walk. After all the preperation, I was finally about to go in front of the cameras and set a new world record.

Well, I think this is a good place to stop fer now. I have a pile of homework to do. I will try not to make the next episode take so long, so...
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment